This tasty vegetarian recipe for baked stuffed peppers is very easy to prepare. I adapted it from a Hairy Bikers recipe in their first Hairy Dieters book. Although there are a few different ingredients, you only need to do a bit of chopping and a few minutes of frying. After that you just pop the peppers in the oven and let them cook away – easy peasy!
Baked stuffed peppers – with mushroom, feta and sun-dried tomato
This recipe for stuffed peppers is delicious, healthy and surprisingly simple. It delivers a fantastic combination of flavours and textures. The sweet peppers melt in your mouth. The mushrooms are juicy and earthy. The feta is comfortingly creamy and tangy. The sun-dried tomatoes add piquancy, and the chilli flakes give you a welcome, warming kick. The crispy breadcrumb topping and the toasted hazelnuts add a delightful crunch.
Vegetarians and non-veggies will love you for this one. After all the indulgence of Christmas and New Year, it’s packed full of good things but feels like a treat. A great healthy recipe for January!
Breadcrumbs come in very handy in a variety of recipes, such as stuffings or meatballs. However, making small amounts of breadcrumbs is quite faffy, so I tend to make a batch of breadcrumbs from a whole loaf, and freeze the leftovers. They defrost really quickly, and you can freeze them in a single large bag. Just break off a portion of the frozen breadcrumbs when you need them – it crumbles off easily. I don’t often have a lot of white bread kicking around at home, but it’s worth baking a white loaf when I’m making a batch of breadcrumbs. This saves me from random shop-bought white bread, which always seems weirdly chewy and lasts a suspiciously long time before it goes mouldy!
- Prep Time: 15m
- Cook Time: 35m
- Total Time: 50m
- 150 grams chestnut mushrooms, diced
- 20 grams blanched hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 40 grams white breadcrumbs
- 4 pieces sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 75 grams feta
- 2 red or yellow peppers, depending on size
- Black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 220°C/Fan 200°C/Gas 7.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan and fry the mushrooms over a high heat for 4 minutes.
- Add the hazelnuts and fry for about another minute, until the nuts start to toast a little. Remove from the heat.
- Add the garlic, breadcrumbs, sun-dried tomatoes, parsley and chilli flakes and season well with pepper. Mix together thoroughly.
- Crumble in the feta and mix in to the stuffing gently.
- Halve the peppers lengthways and remove the seeds and membrane.
- Line a small roasting tin with kitchen foil (it needs to be just big enough to hold all the peppers in a single layer).
- Use a spoon to fill the pepper halves with the stuffing and place in the tin, stuffing side up.
- Put a small piece of foil on top of each pepper. This will cover the stuffing to stop it burning.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Remove the foil on top of the peppers and return to the oven for another 10 minutes to allow the stuffing to crisp.
- All this needs to serve with it is a green salad with a simple dressing.